Gonzo Marketing:Winning Through Worst Practices The Bombast Transcripts: Rants and Screeds of RageBoy
Another cup? Why not!

Google Groups subscribe to Entropy Gradient Reversals
email:
browse archives at groups.google.com


EGR

via PayPal...


CBO

Kat Herding


blogroll
swan
tinman
humorlessbitch
lindsay
leslie
si
don williams
jp rangaswami
dan gillmor
kevin marks
ann craig
musick
frank paynter
mary wehmeier
donna wentworth
gary turner
halley suitt
jeneane sessum
blog sisters
denise howell
doc searls
david weinberger
brian millar
steve larsen
elizabeth lane lawley
nanna
michael "OC" clarke
george partington
e v h e a d
megnut
weblogs.com
dave winer
eric norlin
tom matrullo
gonzo-engaged
akma
sweet fancy moses
julian bond
steve maclaughlin
stavros-twc
the obvious?
techwatch
gayle noelle
kate cohen
wood s lot
talking moose
oliver willis
dean landsman
arjlog
creepy steve
bob adams
hernani dimantas
gordon.coale
martin jensen
living code
plasticboy
walter thornton
phil wolff
steve rhodes
bob adams
gaspar torriero
paul vincent
sharon o'neill
sheila perkins
pluto krozabeeep
movable type
keith pelczarski
punkey
suodatin
dot-coma
keith perkins
howard greenstein
greg carter
aron nopanen
mrbread
bret fausett
m. melting object
chars
sylvain carle
jimslog
hypnagogica
garett laugavitz
Sunday, October 17, 2004
the end of fan mail as usual
letter from a young reader
The following arrived this morning...
Subject: fan mail as usual
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:49:19 +0000
From: Jenny *
To: clocke@panix.com

Hey, Mr. Locke, my name is Jenny and, though I've tried to restrain myself from writing to you what you've probably read a good few thousand times, I'm too tempted to tell you how much I appreciate your books and your blogs. Gonzo Marketing has made me look at business in a whole different way (a more positive one..just thought I'd clarify that before you start banging your head on something solid for ripping apart a poor child's brain!..just kidding) and there was a time fairly recently where I printed out your blogs in the evenings to read in the mornings on the bus to school. they've woken me up and helped me assume a happy look when there wasn't one naturally. people started to stare at a teenage girl laughing at seven in the morning.. pure outrage! once I began reading the more serious posts, I was almost surprised that someone with such a wonderful sense of humor can be sad..I became sad with you. I hope this doesn't freak you out heh. all my friends now know about you, and it's given me a chance to bond with my dad who recommended you to me.

anyway, enough rambling, I doubt you'd want to hear any of this in the first place. toodloo. .

I wrote back...
Jenny,

what a wonderful letter! it may surprise you to learn that I don't get all that much fan mail. depending on my mood and the phase of the moon, I think this means a) everybody's scared of me, or b) everybody hates me. The notion that most people are just too busy never occurs to me. I mean, how can they be too busy for ME!? Mi-mi-mi... (Practicing my voice exercises.)

Would you mind if I blogged this? I could just say it was from "Jenny" -- or, if you have a blog and wanted me to, I could point to that. I have a teenage daughter (14) who I'm just about to go pick up for lunch and the usual light (or heavy, it depends) banter. She never tires of telling me what a lamer I am -- usually while doing quite an excellent Napoleon Dynamite impression. Anyway, if the idea doesn't freak you out, it might win me some points with Selene (her real name, duh).

in any case, I was very glad to read this. thank you so much.

chris/RB

I got a response very quickly. She said, "go right ahead, but no, I have no blog as of yet." Adding, "have fun with your daughter!"

I did tell Selene about this exchange, and I could tell she thought it was pretty cool. She even said so, which is rare praise indeed, coming from her. There is a lot of love between us, but it's not something that fits too well into so many words. Whoever your dad is, Jenny, I suspect he knows this. And that you do too. I hope you'll thank him for me for the recommendation that resulted in your mail today. The image of you cracking up over my stuff at 7am on the school-bus just blows me away. A world worth living in is made of just such small stories. I bet someone reading this is getting that right now. So you've already passed it along. As far as I can figure, in my fifty-something years of figuring, this is how it works. Keep laughing, and -- don't tell your dad I said this part -- rock on with your bad self!


7:59 PM | link |



get your badge here.

"RageBoy: Giving being fucking nuts a good name since 1985."
~D. Weinberger
28 October 2004

www.flickr.com
Chris Locke's photos More of Chris Locke's photos

Until a minute ago, I had no photos. I still have no photos to speak of. I don't even have a camera. But all these people were linking to "my photos." It was embarassing. It's still embarassing. But I'm used to that.


support free journalism
get this code



Technorati Search
this blog
all blogs

what I'm listening to...
billy idol - greatest hits

egr on topica
on yahoo groups
(way)back issues
egr home
terms of service


technorati cosmos


It is too late.

TECHNORATI

BLOGDEX

The Bombast Transcripts


Gonzo Marketing


The Cluetrain Manifesto


trust the man with the star

...the ventriloquial voice is both an attempt to imagine and pit the the speech of the body against the speech of culture, and an attempt to control that illegitimate speech, to draw it into discourse...

Sein und Zeitgeist

Samuel Pepys

All Products
Books
Popular Music
Classical Music
Videos
DVD
Toys & Games
Baby! Baby!
Computer Games
Electronics
Software
Tools & Hardware
Outdoor "Living"
Kitchen Stuff
Camera & Photo
Wireless Phones
Emotional Outlet
Computers
Search by keywords:
In Association with Amazon.com

more / archives


live dangerously. subscribe to EGR

at a major industry conference,
chris locke once again captures the real story.

Powered by Blogger